I am Building a Guitar


I have been working a lot on building an acoustic guitar. My inspiration is the guitar that James Taylor plays (made by luthier Jim Olson). It will have an Engleman Spruce top and an East Indian Rosewood back. For those up on acoustics, it will be shaped like a Martin OM, except curvier and deeper bodied. I have the braces on the back. Here are some pictures!









Luthier Notes: The back is assembled in a concave dish in order to put a dome in the back of the guitar (this I think aids in projection). The dish is essentially a section of the surface of a sphere that would have a radius of 15 feet. I profiled the braces in the dish (in their respective locations) and then glued them in place using hot hide glue (old school violin making stuff). Next, the braces are quickly clamped into the domed shape by using 24" long 3/16" fiberglass rods to exert pressure. The whole clamping structure is called a go-bar deck. The fun part is that I built all of it - it feels good to see parts of the guitar starting to come together.

Photo Notes: 20 mm lens. It distorts, which I think looked really cool here. Ansel Adams said to never apologize for your lenses. Interesting thought.

1 comment:

  1. That is an interesting thought....
    As is building a guitar, progress looks great as do the shots... Seems like it would be a daunting task!
    Good luck! I'm excited to hear about how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for viewing and commenting!